Léo Santa Cruz beats Carl Frampton for WBA world featherweight title – as it happened

“It was a very tough fight,” Frampton says. “Some of the rounds were close but I feel like Léo probably deserved it.
“I want to apologize for the traveling support, but the better man deserved it. I’m gutted. I’m gutted. He told me what he was going to do. Sometimes I felt the brawler was outboxing hte boxer. It’s one-all, we have to do it again.
“He was very clever. He used his reach. I think he deserved it. I’m being honest. I think he deserved it, but it was a very good fight. No excuses. I had a very good training camp, but let’s do it again. I hope Léo’s a man of his word. He said if it was a third fight he’d come to Belfast. Let’s do it agai

“Before the first fight, I wanted revenge,” Santa Cruz says. “I did what I had to do. I knew it was going to be another tough fight and like I said, let’s make it a third fight. I always knew how to use my distance and everything. I like to give my fans a great fight. I’m sorry for my fans, but that was the way to beat Frampton. If I had went in, he would have counter-punched me all night.
“My head was telling me to go for it and pressure, but my dad was telling me box him.
“Of course I’m a man of my word. Let’s do it a third time.”

One judge scores it 114-114, but the other two have it 115-113 in favor of the winner ... Léo Santa Cruz! What a fight! Stand by for the in-ring interviews.

The Guardian has scored it 115-113 to Frampton but, my, the scores for this one appear to be all over the map. Who knows what to expect when the official scores are revealed in a few moments’ time.




Comments

Popular Posts